Palm inhalation is the simple yet impactful act of receiving scent from your hands. This aromatherapeutic technique is often employed as a transformative tool for self-soothing, as the sense of smell has a direct pathway to the limbic system, the part of our brain that governs emotion, memory, and motivation. The physical and psychological effects of inhalation — versus skin absorption – are nearly instant. In esoteric dialogue, the hands are an extension of the heart, so unlike a perfume that is often worn for the pleasure of others, palm inhalation is an authentic form of self-care.
How to Practice:
1. Select a scent that supports your intention. If you’re looking to de-stress and ground, Moon was formulated for this very purpose. Peppermint boosts energy while clary sage is a natural anti-depressant and regardless of the oil or blend you choose, we highly encourage opting for pure over synthetic as the therapeutic benefits will greatly outweigh the savings in price.
2. Apply 1-2 drops to the palm of your hands.
3. Rub hands together vigorously, aerating the blend.
4. Cup palms in front of your face. It is important that you don’t make contact, especially with the eyes, and hover the hands like a mask instead.
6. Inhale fully. Remove your hands.
7. Exhale completely. And repeat as desired.